Monday, June 25, 2012

Pinterest

My new favorite thing is Pinterest.  I think I missed the boat when Pinterest was really popular, but I have had the best time creating a virtual bulletin board of ideas people share.  You can make a board for almost anything, but as a teacher, I'm finding it very helpful for coming up with new ideas for school.  I've taught fourth grade for awhile, so it's nice to get some new ideas to use in the classroom, especially when you feel as if you have used all of your fun ideas, or maybe even just to try something new. 

Here's a snapshot (thanks to Jing) of some of my school board.  I have 80 pins on there just for school alone. 


My friend made a Pinterest account and she has even made separate boards for the subject areas she teaches so it is very organized. 

I don't know that Pinterest would be a good distance education tool- other than possibly making a "Me Board" to get to know one another at the beginning of a class, like we do in class with "Me Bags" where the students decorate a bag and then fill it with things that are important to them and then we share them in class. 

However, as an educator, I think Pinterest could be a valuable tool to refresh our teaching when we need some inspiration.

4 comments:

  1. I highly agree that Pinterest is a valuable resource! It has added so much life and creativity into my classroom. It is great to be able to share ideas with teachers from all over. I wanted to share a saying that is on Pinterest, maybe you have seen it... Don't tell me teachers don't work over the summer. Real teachers work all summer...even if it is pinning classroom ideas on Pinterest. Sounds like PD to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that card that you reference- it is very true! If we were able to use the things we find and share with others, I think we would all be better off than sitting in a meeting that doesn't always apply to us or get us engaged.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know Pinterest had helpful resources for educators. That's great! Now I got to really check it out. I thought it was something like Facebook. Well that's what I thought when we first explore Twitter in the other class and then we realized that there are many resources on their for teachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who would have thought that social media was more than just a place to find out celebrity drama or too much information about our friends?

      Delete